Twisted Axles
October 25, 2014, 05:02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Renee Beyer benefit ride September 13 2014

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: hydro assist  (Read 5570 times)
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

where i need to tap is still relatively thin, so was thinking of cementing the fittings in with some JB weld for extra strength.  But if I order steel fittings, could I weld them in place? or would that just make the cast housing weaker than it already is?  if I was to weld steel to cast, what would be the best type of welding to use?  There's no way I could be precise enough with the stick welder I have.  Everytime I've tried to weld cast before i haven't had good luck, and thats even with pre-heating and then wrapping in insulation so it cools slow.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »

If you use SMAW you need a high nickle rod or a rod used for stainless. Eutectic has a rod just for this it is #609 and comes in various sizes but is quite expensive I have some but its 3/16th and thats way too big for what you want to do. I do have some really small (I think its 3/32") Stainweld 316-7 that I could give you. Any of the Lincoln Stainweld series should work. If you head down to HAUN on Court St they can set you up with what you need. If you want to use your MIG then you need a stainless wire, another liner and shielding gas HAUN should be able to set you up with that also it will just take the $$$$$ if you don't already have a tank. The best way to do it would be TIG, very low heat effected zone, easily weld dissimular metals and if your good at it small stuff is easy. Any welding shop should be able to do it for you including HAUN.
tacowillys
Taco Grandé
Administrator

RIP Renegade 10-13-07

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »

You could always do the crazy thing an just put the fitting in and see how it works.  Sometimes there is no use in over engineering things.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »

Cause and effect is a good thing when it comes to R&D just as long as it doesn't leave you stranded!
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:37:48 AM »

finally got it done!  what I thought was going to be a simple job turned into a PITA.  My track bar totally screwed the mounting of the ram, so I had to put it below the tierod instead of behind it.  now I need to build some kind of guard around it so it doesn't get smashed.  The steering pretty much feels the same on the road, which is good.  I'm looking forward to trying it out off road. 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: