Twisted Axles
October 21, 2014, 03:57:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Renee Beyer benefit ride September 13 2014

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4x4 Shop/Garage  (Read 1633 times)
Mike.Ball
Not_Club_Members

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:58:28 AM »

Are there any local 4x4 shops in the area??  I tried East Coast Off Road, but their numbers have been disconnected.   I am having some major Upper Ball Joint issues that neither I nor my garage can seem to figure out. 

I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with a 3" SL and 3" BL running 33's.  I just replaced my Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Upper Control arms, and Upper Control arm Bushings 800 miles ago, and after less than 700 miles my UBJ's were shot.  So, hoping I just got a bad batch, I replaced them again 100 miles ago, and they're shot...again.  They keep making a horrible "popping" noise.  My shop put it on the lift an showed my the movement in the UBJ'S. 

All this equipment is after market from a reputable company (Automotive Customizers/4x4parts.com) and is replacing after market equipment from a not-so great company.

I am at my wits end.  I was supposed to be going to Uwharrie National Forrest in Troy, NC next weekend for a wheeling trip that has been in the work for months...and now I can't because of this stupid problem.

I realize most of you guys have Solid Front Axles and don't have to deal w/the problems of Inferior Front Suspension, but any input/info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

!!Chuck Norris Approved!!
luvsmud
Administrator

GOT MUD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »

east coast off road is no longer around.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »

I don't know of any "just 4X4" shops around, did you look to see if your A arms are hitting the bump stops before the ball joint reaches the end of its useable stroke. If the ball joints are being forced beyond that point you will destory them in no time at all. If you replace them try using MOOG chassis components you can get these at your local Advance Auto but they will need to order them. From what you describe I would say someone forgot to install the extended bump stops or the lift kit company didn't do any real life R&D before building the kit 
Mike.Ball
Not_Club_Members

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »

No, it's not a bumpstop issue.  It turned out to be a set of bad BJ'S.  Just got back from a NC wheeling trip.  New BJ'S are fine.  I will be sending the bad ones back.

!!Chuck Norris Approved!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: