Twisted Axles
December 20, 2014, 09:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Merry Christmas and a happy and safe new year

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: driveline  (Read 1379 times)
dusty178

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »

im swaping in a np205 t- case into my fsj. my stock rears are offset to the pass side. now the 205 has the rear output coming straight off the rear and not off to the pass side like the stock case . now it's  taking the shaft and moving it over about 6 in from right to left....it is possible to put a cardan joint on the rear axle u-joint and not on the off the t-case  like normal???  i think that it will eat up u- joints if i  put the cardan off the t- case . puts rear joint at a harsh angle towards the center if left that way. 
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »

You cannot run a CV style (Double cardan) unless you can run the single joint neutral with the pinion or transfercase output or in other words the pinion or output shaft centerline must be in the same plane as the driveshaft centerline which will be impossible in your current situation. You would be better off just running a normal driveshaft that way both joints will cancel out each other when running at ride height. If you have enough room and the angle isn't too great then a normal shaft would be the ticket otherwise you need to shorten your trans and transfer or move your rear axle back.
dusty178

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19:16 AM »

even if i just run a single u-joint at the t- case and put the cardan at the rearend that wont work? just like putting the driveshaft in backwards. i can try using the shaft with it in with cardan joint on t-case and see how bad it vibrates. live and learn....
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

Try it and find out hopefully you don't snap a cap or destroy a joint. Remember to look at the shaft at full droop and bump to see it you have clearance issues as well.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »

it will probably end up having more vibration if you run one CV and one U-joint than if you run 2 U-joints.  The only way to do it right would be to have a custom double CV driveshaft made.  In the end, it would probably be cheaper to find a new rear axle in the junkyard with a centered diff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: