Twisted Axles
April 15, 2014, 08:20:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Club recovers twistedaxles.com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrappy build  (Read 1831 times)
PJ1

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »

I'm starting the build of my 01 TJ got rid of some of the original drivetrain and started cutting stuff off and fabing up mounts in such.

W.B. 105"
4link front and rear
2.5" air shocks might go with coil overs
Ballistic fab joints
1" body lift to clear tummy tuck
front HP60 5:38 spooled
rear HP60 5:38 Detroit
Disk brakes front and rear (thats weird brakes on the rear)
E brake on transfer output
Dana 300 xfer 4:1 Lomax
NV3550 trans
4.0L for now 5.9L once I find one
Here's some pics of before I'll post progress pics once I resize them smaller than 1226K what a PITA

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:48:46 PM by PJ1 » Logged
goldxlt
Not_Club_Members

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »

sounds like it will keep you busy
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »

It sure is! Grin Let's see if I can get some of these pics to load of body mounts and rear frame 4 link cross member. All of this stuff is done and welded on I now am moving on to reworking the rear section of the frame. I'm making that out of 3"x3"x3/16" tube and I think my compound miter saw has about had it with cutting steel. Why don't anyone make one of these for metal that cost somewhat close to a wood version WTF!!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:57:24 AM by PJ1 » Logged
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

Got my rear frame section welded together just need to finish its body mounts and weld it in place. Heres a couple pics of rear 4 link welded in and where the rear wheel approx will be.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »

looking good!  let me know if you have any extra link material from the build that you want to sell.  I'm getting ready to put a rear 3-link on the samurai.
luvsmud
Administrator

GOT MUD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »

just wondering if you sold your original rearend? and let me know if you sell the motor or tranny
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »

I should have around 10 feet of both 2" and 1 3/4" .250" wall left over and you guys will be the first to know when the engine goes. I listed the axles on here awile back and no one spoke up so I listed them on craigslist and 2 hours later they was gone. The tires were spoken for about 10 minutes after I posted them as well.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »

I got some more stuff done. I am having problems with clearance issues on the LCA's go figure. I thought doing a 4link front I would have issues with the UCA's but they fit like they were meant to be there. The issue I am having is between the LCA and the frame on the front. I want to keep the belly flat and in doing so it places the LCA mounts in a location so they will hit the underside of the frame before the axle is at full 5" bump. I think the solution will be to notch the bottom inside of the frame and gusset the upper to resolve the strength issues. I need to post those pics once I get them it's quite a dillema but I think it's resolvable with the forementioned idea. Does anyone know their numbers for antisquat, IC, and RC?? If so what seems to be the sweet spot your running right now and at what height are these calculated at? A front 4 link isn't covered very much anywhere and most are on the fence about what's good and bad.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:27:21 AM by PJ1 » Logged
tacowillys
Taco Grandé
Administrator

RIP Renegade 10-13-07

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »

leaf springs baby!   I used to have this book called Racing by the Numbers by Carroll Smith or something like that which was basically and engineering book on how to properly design and set up all types of suspensions (for race cars at least).  I'll see if I can dig it up.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »

I'm kind of at a stall right now on everything with the broken foot thing going on. I have designed the front 4 link setup and have made most of the parts for the mounts but its not so easy to weld with the open toe boot thing I got on. I also got all the links cut to length and the frame notch located for the lower front links. I have about 5/8" clearance between the front driveshaft and the LCA mount its tight but it should work. I'll post these pics once i get them off my phone and resize them.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 05:16:10 AM »

any new pics?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: