Twisted Axles
August 29, 2014, 12:02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Renee Beyer benefit ride September 13 2014

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Swap  (Read 3444 times)
dirtnerd

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:37:18 AM »

It looks like I'll be getting that 2.0L for my Tracker.  The donor vehicle was totalled in a roll-over.  I get the whole thing for $500.  I'll try to take pictures and post the progress once I get into the swap. 
luvsmud
Administrator

GOT MUD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »

thats sweet more power is good Grin
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »

Yeah - I'll be going from 80 to 130hp.  Here's a writup of what the swap looks like: http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/2litertracker.html

I'm not sure yet if I will spend the $400 to have my wire harness modified or trying to figure out the wiring myself.
dusty178

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »

if the basic harness is close dont see why you couldnt make it work.... if the plugs for 02 sensors are the same and engine controls (tps and ignition.ecm ...ect) could you take harness out of   the donor?? or is it totally different?
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:09:19 AM »

If you have the prints for both the wiring job should be a cake walk. If you need any help with the wiring I'll do it I actually enjoy building harnesses.
tacowillys
Taco Grandé
Administrator

RIP Renegade 10-13-07

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »

Wiring can be tedious but not that bad if you have the schematics and time.  Just make sure that the harness that you are using is salvageable.  I did a 5.0L EFI swap on my bronco and converted over the stock harness.  Unfortunately the harness is old enough to have corroded wires and connectors causing intermittent electrical issues.  I'll probably buy an aftermarket new harness just to keep the gremlins at bay.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

here's what the car looked like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The engine is a little crusty, but it seems to run good and doesn't have any leaks.  The lifters are real noisy, but the factory service manual says that the hydraulic lifters in this engine get air in them if the motor sits for too long.  Apparently it's normal for them to make noise for up to a 1/2hr.  Also, I plugged in the code reader and there were no codes, so thats a good sign.

here's the engine coming out

I was able to remove every wire in the entire car without cutting anything.  I have all the sensors labeled and I have the factory manuals for both cars.  The majority of the sensors are on one main harness that plugs into the new computer.  The only splicing I have to do is for the ignition, computer power, speed sensor, O2 sensors and dash cluster (idiot lights, fuel, temp and tach).

So if I do the wiring myself, that leaves the motor mounts and the clutch to figure out.  I think I'll pay the $200 or $250 for the custom motor mounts and save myself that headache.  I still haven't decided what to do to adapt this engine to my drivetrain.  While the engine bolt patterns are the same, the bellhousings and clutch are not.  The bellhousing for the 2.0L is wider to fit a larger flywheel and clutch to handle the additional hp.  I can either buy a modified 1.6L flywheel and bolt my tranny up as is, or I can do a tranny swap and bolt my t-case to it.  Unfortunately, this is a 2WD car so I'd have to get a junkyard tranny to do that.  I may be able to do a bellhousing swap with the tranny I have, but I won't know until I get my tranny out and compare the input shafts.  The only problem with a bellhousing or tranny swap is that I would have to convert over to a hydraulic clutch system. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:40:25 PM by dirtnerd » Logged
tacowillys
Taco Grandé
Administrator

RIP Renegade 10-13-07

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:23 PM »

I would upgrade to the larger flywheel and clutch system.  It would potentially last longer under offroad conditions and be easier on the starter plus have more mass so the motor has more lugging ability.  They made it larger for that engine for a reason.  You may get lucky and all you would have to do is the bellhousing swap.  Might need a custom pilot bearing but they are easy to make and the clutch splines may be the same.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:21 AM »

I just sold the 2WD tranny minus the bellhousing, so a bellhousing swap is still an option.  I was only thinking about the clutch force but didn't consider the weight of the larger flywheel - that a good point. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:31:24 PM by dirtnerd » Logged
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »

I bet your wife is happy to see the eye sore is almost gone Smiley Don't forget to grab that clutch master cyl. 
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

I bet your wife is happy to see the eye sore is almost gone Smiley
yep. Hopefully I can get to Roth Steel some time next week.  Am I going to need the title to turn this thing in for recycling?  I hope not, because I dont have it.

Don't forget to grab that clutch master cyl. 
I grabbed everything.  The car is completely stripped.  I have the entire pedal assembly. I also took the brake booster and master cylinder, steering column, cruise control, and a bunch of other things that may be potential upgrades.
PJ1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:31 AM »

Yes you need the title unless you cut it in two which isn't that hard to do with a saws-all. Just cut the top off and cut the lower in two and they no longer care if its got a title or not.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:54:02 AM »

I have the bellhousing, but it wont do me any good.  I measured the bellhousings and the 2.0L one is about 1.5" longer than than the 1.6L.  In addition, the 2.0L engine is also 1.5-2" longer.  I wont have room to run the longer bellhousing and still fit the extra length of the engine.  This may be the only time that I can't use an extra inch and half!  So it looks like I'll be running the 1.6L flywheel and clutch.

I dropped off the car at the recycler yesterday.  There is a DMV form to fill out if you dont have the title.  I got $140 for what was left of the car.  With the tranny also sold I already got back $200 of the $500.  And I still have a lot of other parts to sell.
tacowillys
Taco Grandé
Administrator

RIP Renegade 10-13-07

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »

I have a problem selling parts because you never know when you might need it someday.
dirtnerd

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »

I have a problem selling parts because you never know when you might need it someday.
I'm usually the same way, but there are some parts that I'm pretty sure I wont need.  Like the steering rack. That and I'm out of room in my shed.  Parts have started to spill over to the basement.

So I've made some more progress. I got this mess of wires:

Boiled down to this:

I also opened up the engine to see what things looked like.

Surprisingly, the timing chain looks good.  These engines are supposed to be notorious for timing chain failures right around the mileage of this engine, but there are no signs of wear on the sprockets or the chain guides.  I can get a timing chain kit for $140 that even comes with a new water pump, so I'm not sure if I should do the job while its all open, or just save my money.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:30:41 AM by dirtnerd » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: